Pincushion Palooza II
This listing is for the hard-copy PATTERN that will be mailed to you via USPS First Class Mail.
These make wonderful gifts! Who can resist a handmade pincushion?
These pincushions in three classic quilting designs are sure to please any quilter or sewing enthusiast. Directions for ten styles in two sizes are included. Show your skill by piecing on these lovely pincushions for someone special. Use scraps from grandma's garments or from a special quilt that you've given away to make a "memory" pincushion.
Filled with crushed walnut shells or craft sand, these pincushions are weighty but have a wonderful squishy feel. The size is perfect for use right in front of your sewing machine. The give in the pincushions ensure that they will also sit on the arm of the couch. Pins stay put too! Use that special vintage button in the center, stack several buttons, or use felt shapes from the scrapbooking section of the craft store.
Templates are included so you can copy your own English paper piecing pieces onto freezer paper or cardstock. You can also buy pre-packaged shapes.
Pattern is in a convenient booklet format and contains complete, accurate, and easy to follow instructions with diagrams and pull-out pattern sheets. Some experience with quilting and English paper piecing is assumed, however, there is also a link to a great English paper piecing tutorial included.
- Fabric and batting scraps
- 8-1/2" x 11" piece of quilter's template plastic to make templates
- 2" x 2" piece of freezer paper to make dresden plate center
- 8-1/2" x 11" pieces of freezer paper or cardstock for copying paper pieces OR buy pre-made EPP pieces in the following sizes:
- Grandmother's Flower Garden (4"): 37 (thirty-seven) 1/2" hexagons
- Grandmother's Flower Garden (5"): 19 (nineteen) 3/4" hexagons
- 6-point Star (4"): 12 (twelve) 7/8" 6-point diamonds
- 6-point Star (5"): 12 (twelve) 1-1/4" 6-point diamonds
- Decorative buttons for pincushion centers
- Crushed walnut shells or craft sand (3 cups for 4” pincushions and 5 cups for 5” pincushions)
- Matching thread for piecing
- Matching or contrasting thread for quilting
- Hand-quilting / heavy-duty thread for buttons
- Hand sewing and 4" long needle for attaching buttons
- Small applique pins
- Quilter's temporary marking pen
- Small funnel (or make your own out of paper)
You can buy crushed walnut shells from pet stores and craft sand from your local hobby store!
Are you a shop owner interested in wholesale options? See my wholesale page for information on pricing and how to order!